Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Wow I'm done?

This week I had a colonoscopy at Froedert. Everyone at Freoedert either is really really good at making it no big deal or getting a colonoscopy is really no big deal. My father passed away from colon cancer when he was still in his 30's so I am at a higher risk of colon cancer. When I decided to help with the Bobbie Nick Voss Charity golf classic which is July 31st..(details at bobbiesays.com) to raise awareness and help fight colon cancer I knew this was a reminder to me that I should have a colonoscopy as my mom has been telling me to do for about 5 years or so.

Outside of having to endure sitting on the throne for most of a night there is nothing to be afraid of. I was completely comfortable while getting poked and prodded the drugs they gave me pretty much wiped any memory of the procedure out of my mind, which is totally fine with me.
And I even felt up to going golfing later that day. Everyone at Froedert did an outstanding job from the doctor, to the nurses, to the anesthesiologists, to the office staff they made it as easy as it could be. I was amazed how good I felt after having the procedure done.

I also felt good because I know it was good for me to have this done. Colon cancer is the second leading cancer killer in the United States, but is very treatable if found early and the best way to discover it is with a colonoscopy. With a colonoscopy if they find polyps, like they did with me
they can remove them right there.

If you know someone at a higher risk of colon cancer or at the age when their doctor recommends having a colonoscopy and they haven't had a colonoscopy yet tell them the procedure is really no big deal, but having it done could be a really big deal.

A big thanks to the folks at Froedert for doing what they do everyday, and
the great treatment I received. Check out Froedert.com if you have any questions about colon cancer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home